Message from the Resort Manager
Welcome to the month three update of our Island Roohu blog. The weeks are slipping by and we are now into low season, which is also a good opportunity to reconnect with our beloved families. I am immensely proud of the work that you and your team members are doing for the continuous cost reduction efforts, the initiative for taking this opening to do refreshment trainings and commitment for encouraging the clearances of accumulated outstanding leave days.
It is also the challenging time of the year for our Sales Team, who are working triple time to fill in the gaps of the low season business and they are doing it with much energy and enthusiasm.
Thank you all for your hard work and positive attitude. I wish you and your family a peaceful Ramadan.
Baa Atoll Summer Festival of Six Resorts
With 5 other participating resorts namely, Soneva Fushi, Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru, Dusit Thani, Vakkaru Maldives and Amilla Fushi, Chef Nishantha, Finolhu Executive Chef and his F&B Kitchen Team have come together to begin the Summer Festival with excitement and thrill in Baa Atoll Maldives naming it, “Baa Atoll Summer Festival 2018.” This event was celebrated last 9 May 2018 at Soneva Fushi’s Sand Bank.
Baa Atoll Summer Festival will be held from 20th July to 3rd August 2018
Schedule for the Baa Atoll Festival 2018:
– Saturday, 21st July & 28th July: Amilla Fushi
– Sunday, 22nd July & 29th July: Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru
– Monday, 23rd July & 30th July: Finolhu
– Tuesday, 24th July & 31st July: Dusit Thani
– Wednesday, 25th July & 1st August: Soneva Fushi
– Thursday, 26th July & 2nd August: Vakkaru Maldives
Visit: www.baaatollfestival.com for more information and follow us on Instagram: @Baa_Atoll_Festival #SummerFestival #DineAroundinBaa #TourDeBaa #ItsBetterInBaa #DineAround
Kanusan (Participating restaurant):
Kanusan’s deck dips you into a dazzling dining experience. Whet your whistle on classic favourites such as Mandarin roasted duck and larb gai – with a refreshing Kanusan twist. Kanusan features a totally fresh overwater bar area and two dining areas. There’s a chilled indoor dining space, and an open lower deck which provides the archetypal Maldivian experience of being surrounded by the sights and sounds of the sea.
Join us and experience a special dining menu from our award-winning signature restaurant KANUSAN or visit the other resorts to experience their flavours during your stay with us.
Back Stage Cleaning Day
Last 5 May 2018, all Islanders who were available to lend a hand with the Human Resources Team did an amazing job in maintaining the cleanliness of our Team Village. Everyone’s help was a big one as we will not be able to complete this task without the support of all other departments.
Tie the Knot
Congratulations and best wishes to our Islanders who recently tied the knot and embraced their married lives!
Moosa (Front Office Supervisor) and Kenzie (Front Office Mojo Agent)
Chef Arun (Executive Pastry Chef) and Anjaly
Shinto (Yoga Instructor, The Cove Club) and Elizabeth
Chef Supun (F&B Kitchen) and Wife
FINOLHU Heat 2018 “Mini Olympics”
Participated by all Islanders, Marc Reader, Finolhu Resort Manager graced the opening ceremony of Mini Olympics “Finolhu Heat 2018” with the aim to further increase Team Engagement. All were fairly divided into four groups representing our Finolhu Brand Traits:
The Managers led each Team and they are to identify their team players for each game. The below are winning results of this successful event:
|Beach Volley||Island Playground|
|3 on 3 Futsal||Island Playground|
|Tug of War||Groovy Sparkle|
|Fun Challenge||Groovy Sparkle|
|Swim-Run Marathon||Retro Revival|
OVERALL GRAND CHAMPION – Retro Revival
Maahefun – Islam in the Maldives
Maahefun was celebrated last 14 May 2018 in Finolhu. This celebration marks the beginning of Ramadan where the Muslims in the Maldives celebrate the taking of their last meal before beginning the month-long fasting. It is a traditional celebration where everybody gathered to have their last meal before fasting.
Watermelon juice is the most popular Iftar drink for Maldivians. Fasting is one of the five pillars of the Islamic faith.
F&B Kitchen Department Monthly Communication Meeting and Training
Chemical Knowledge Training (Stewarding)
How to Make Chapatti
How to Make Mutable Eggplant
How to Make Tomato Gazpacho
How to Make Truffle Sauce
Did you know?
1. What are ILA products/treatments?
ILA is one of the product brands we use in Cove Club which is certified to be 100% organic.
ILA is the Sanskrit name for Mother Earth and the Goddess of Truth
The purpose of all ILA treatments is to create and hold a healing space in which guests are able to reconnect to their essential selves and true source of healing and bliss. By using pure ingredients and time honored techniques which address mind body and soul, along with highly skilled, aware and loving therapists the ILA treatments are able to facilitate and feel a real sense of daily healing and fulfillment.
2. What are the benefits of steam sauna?
- Clears the Skin: The Steam helps to clear skin impurities and can potentially be used to treat acne. It also helps to improve circulation throughout the body which can give the skin a healthy glow making your skin look and feel great
- Can Increase Flexibility: Regularly stretching stiff muscles before entering a sauna or steam room can lead to the heat penetrating your tired and stiff muscles making them more fluid and loose.
- Removes Toxins: The heat from sauna and steam rooms makes your body sweat. Sweating relieves the body of waste products, and it is known that sitting in a sauna or steam room for around twenty minutes can rid the body of the day’s sweat and waste products.
Contributed by: Jackline Wanjku, Assistant Spa Manager (The Cove Club)
Finolhu Jalsa was held outside Diner last 17th May 2018 together with the awarding ceremony for mini-Olympics. The Department Managers carefully selected their nominees based on their exemplary work performance for the month of April 2018.
Rockstar Winner l Muniyappan l Bartender (F&B Service)
Muniyappan is one of the foundations of the bar being part of the team since pre-opening. He has showcased his skills and is mostly recognized by guests for his hospitality & bartending skills.
He gives a great support for the F&B management especially this Easter Season – taking extra shifts to cover the less manning in the bar. You may rely on him for any tasks given. He is also active in social & community service in the team and the resort – joining various trainings and events.
Muniyappan displays concern regardless of the circumstance, exhibits professionalism in his language and demeanor.
Superhero Winner l Manik Uddin l Commis (F&B Kitchen)
Manik understands the needs of peers and offers a helping hand to each kitchen outlets during busy period last month. He displays a cooperative and harmonious nature by encouraging team members to solve issues at their end and delegates with precision and clarity. He displayed consistent overall improvement and growth through the month. With that, I am nominating him to be the Roohu of the month for April 2018.
ASK THE EXPERT
What is physical fitness?
Physical fitness means the body is healthy, flexible, strong, and does not get tired easily. Fitness affects the entire body – heart, lungs, bones, muscles – each body function works together.
Why is regular exercise important to a person’s health?
Exercising regularly, can have many benefits on every person’s physical and mental health, including.
- Decrease chances of depression
- Improve self esteem
- Improve sleep
- Relieve stress
- Help improve the condition of the heart and lungs
- Promote bone and muscle strength
What can I do to get more fit?
Any type of regular, physical activity can improve your fitness and your health. The most important thing is that you keep moving!
Exercise should be a regular part of your day, like brushing your teeth, eating, and sleeping. It can be in gym class, joining a sports team, or working out on your own. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Stay positive and have fun. A good mental attitude is important. Find an activity that you think is fun. You are more likely to keep with it if you choose something you like. Many people find it is more fun to exercise with someone else, so see if you can find a friend or family member to be active with you.
- Take it one-step at a time. Small changes can add up to better fitness. For example, walk or ride your bike to school or to a friend’s house instead of getting a ride. Get on or off the bus several blocks away and walk the rest of the way. Use the stairs instead of taking the elevator or escalator.
- Get your heart pumping. Whatever you choose, make sure it includes aerobic activity that makes you breathe harder and increases your heart rate. This is the best type of exercise because it increases your fitness level and makes your heart and lungs work better. It also burns off body fat. Examples of aerobic activities are basketball, running, or swimming.
- Do not forget to warm up with some easy exercises or mild stretching before you do any physical activity. This warms your muscles up and may help protect against injury. Stretching makes your muscles and joints more flexible too. It is also important to stretch out after you exercise to cool down your muscles.
Your goal should be to do some type of exercise every day. It is best to do some kind of aerobic activity without stopping for at least 20 to 30 minutes each time. Do the activity as often as possible, but do not exercise to the point of pain.
Which is the longest bone in the human body?
What is the largest organ in the human body?
What is the amount of urine that a healthy human passes each day?
Answer: 1500 ml