MSG – Ajinomoto my any other name.
Mono Sodium Glutamate has many different names. Originally developed in Japan and made with seaweed it is now made in commercial from fermenting sugars. This doesn’t sound too unhealthy right?
Well much research has been done on this food additive and none of the outcomes are good.
Here are some facts of what this does in our systems;
• As early as the 1970’s researchers found that MSG kills brain cells
• It acts as a nerve stimulant and will change how we taste food. Basically even food could normally taste bad would taste good. Think old food or food that is not good for you.
• For those sensitive to MSG it can cause headaches, muscle tightness, tiredness, tingling, itching and weakness.
• It can trigger asthma attacks.
• There are many studies that now link MSG to obesity and weight gain.
I am not sure about you but I don’t think any of this sounds good.
Unfortunately with regulations in many countries either banning MSG or enforcing that products must be labels, those folk in white coats in laboratories have found ways to change the name slightly to get round these laws which means that MSG is now hiding in virtually all processed foods under names such as; Glutamate, Maltodextrin, Malt extract, Yeast Extract (food, nutrient), anything Hydrolysed, Soy protein and Whey protein.
Yes that’s right those “healthy” protein powders also come with a side of MSG!
MSG is commonly found in prepared sauces and ingredients such as;
• Oyster Sauce
• Fish Sauce
• Hoisin Sauce
• Cheap soy sauces
• Curry pastes
• Chicken powder or stock powder
• Cup/two minute noodle flavour packets
Oh no, what can we eat you ask? The answer lies in eating whole foods. Choosing homemade sauces not out of a bottle. Basically try not to eat anything out of a wrapper and keep all those brain cells intact!